The fellowship aims to build leadership, employability and entrepreneurship skills among girls (20 to 25 years) through a multi layered ‘service learning’ model
This fellowship will include:
- A learning track for fellows to build their personal skills, professional skills and domain-knowledge.
- Each fellow training 650-700 school girls for a 6 month community service based leadership program.
- A deep dive into their own gender stereotypes and blocks to their self-empowerment
Objectives of The Gender Lab Fellowship:
- Take young women through a practical learning experience that will build their confidence and empathy along with making them socially aware and responsible
- Equip women with the required leadership and entrepreneurial skills that will help them in their career
- Empower young women by exploring the impact of gender bias and therefore breaking their own stereotypes.
- Enable young women to develop a vision for themselves and work towards taking their own decisions and becoming independent
Why this fellowship
In 2015 Ayushi Banerji, CEO of The Gender Lab was selected to represent India at the G(irls)20 Summit 2015 in Istanbul, Turkey.
As part of her application she was required to suggest an initiative that she would execute after the Summit. Her idea of such a fellowship – focusing on leadership, employability and entrepreneurial development of women through service learning, played a key role in her selection.
Thus at the Summit, she was able to discuss this initiative with voices from many other countries and also the G(irls)20 team. The idea firmed up during the Summit and she came back equipped with skills to take this initiative forward. Along with that she also brought back a deeper understanding of Gender Equity from a global perspective and the importance of economically empowering women.
The G(irls)20 Platform encouraged the idea of The Gender Lab Fellowship and is invested in Ayushi through mentoring, training and access to the right networks to make this initiative a success
“There is a need for girls to step up for each other, demand and create spaces for girls and women to discover their true potential, design their dreams and make them a reality. All of this is possible when girls have the right opportunities, skills and support system: That is what I want this fellowship to be”
– Ayushi Banerji, The Gender Lab
The Gender Lab is BRM’s vertical that focuses on addressing gender issues through innovative interventions.
It is evolving with time and currently has the following initiatives within:
Avanti Young Women Leadership Program
The Gender Lab Fellowship
The Gender Lab Boys Program